Tuesday, September 20, 2016

The Moguls and Mogulettes






We live in a generation where people love to glorify what they do and it is because of this I dread going to networking events with young 20-something professionals. I have to mentally prepare myself for the load of lies and embellishments that will be thrown my way such as, "Yeah. I'm the CEO of my own fortune five company" or "Due to my remarkable marketing skills I've had the honor of working alongside hard hitters like Nelson Mandela" or my favorite line, "I just flew in from Bangkok where I'm into the business of buying and selling containers." Really? You buy and sell containers? Containers full of what? *awkward silence* "Ehh...I can't say..."

In my opinion it is OKAY to admit that you aren't self-employed or that you are making a little above minimum wage or that you are still searching for that dream job. The reality is that many of us will not get those jobs that pay six figures and give us the luxury to travel whenever we want straight out of undergraduate or graduate school---It is a rarity. 

Sometimes I feel as though people are afraid of being looked down upon or judged by their peers if their standard of living isn't "up to par" however I can assure you that most of us aren't judging you for your position but, rather, your hustle and work ethic.

Not everyone is destined to be a mogul or mogulette. Not everyone will own his or her own business...and even if some of you do succeed in owning your own business, statistics show that it may fail *shrug*.

So own where you are in life. It is just a stepping stone. Your occupation does not define you. Use this time to work on the skills that will make you a competitive candidate in the field of your preference; instead of lying to us turn those fabrications into actualizations! So long as you're living and breathing there is always an opportunity for you.




--------------------------------------------------


xoxo,
J.Nne



No comments:

Post a Comment