I wish that I could give an elaborate story about how I did the "big chop" and got rid of all my permed hair and became natural via a long and hard process...but I can't. I've been natural for some years now; all my life I knew my hair wasn't what you'd call manageable. When permed it felt synthetic, almost like horse hair not to mention it was INCREDIBLY coarse and strong. It's been YEARS since my cut, and even then it was a shave...ALL of my hair went; nothing was spared.
I won't sit here and make it seem like going natural was amazing. I missed my hair like crazy and it was months before my hair was long enough to be able to do any type of hair style...but when it was long enough, I tied my hair with thread (a very effective method among west Africans) I did that style for years until my hair was down to my mid-back...which took about three years. Amazing right? I went from BALD to hair down my back in a manner of years! But of course a healthy diet consisting of A LOT of fatty acids helped. I also used 'Virgin Hair Cream'
Its prices vary from place-to-place. I bought mine at my local corner store for about $9, then my mom bought me two more (Yay! Free stuff) I have NO clue what the active ingredient in it is, but it grows my hair extremely quickly. The main steps are to just wash your hair, condition, dry, and apply the cream. It stings for about 5 minutes and have a very strong peppermint smell, so I advice that you use it at night...before you go to sleep where no one can smell you...Where Am I Now?
Well, my scalp is kind of weak so I try my best to lotion my hair and avoid harsh weather...so around winter most likely you'll see me with a beret, hat, scarf, or something to cover my hair and protect it from the horrible weather. People try to butter me up and say that short looks good on me so from time to time I do chop a few inches or so off my hair. This is it pinned up at the roots....
I am still trying to figure out a cure for split ends because Lord knows I need it. Other than that, I'm doing pretty good. I do partake in wearing weave though, I'm trying to give my scalp some rest and not constantly touch it...whenever I touch my hair, my mother yells at me saying my hair will fall off...so yeah...that's basically where I'm at for now.
Me as of December 7th 2010.
Me as of December 7th 2010.
xoxo,
Miss Nwoka




I wish my hair looked like yours!
ReplyDelete