Monday, November 7, 2011

Black Women...Let's Get This Straight.

Okay, so in the area where I live (Washington DC), we have fads...and when there's a fad, EVERYONE somehow ends up following it or knowing someone that follows it. Right now a couple of the fads we have are women going natural, wearing feathers, and being Afrocentric while men are wearing foamposites, form fitting jeans, and going for the scruffy look. Yes, I am VERY observant and I've noticed it...you can stop acting as though you started the trend.

Anyhow, this post is for my fellow women of color

More power to those of you that have decided to go natural...if your hair type is anything like mine, then good luck. Yeah, it's great to have long, textured, and healthy hair...but PLEASE my natural sistas, do not begin to look down on those women that still get perms. Just because being natural works for you, does not mean that it works for other people...and quite frankly I've seen some afros with hair that was barely there...so before you go around trying to force any and every woman to go natural, think twice; it's not by force.

Another thing is when girls start to proclaim "I'm doing the big chop! I'm going natural!" and after cutting off their locks, they dye their hair platinum blond, crimson red, or chestnut brown... *deep sigh* The point of going natural is to rid your scalp of all damaging chemicals sweethearts, if you're out here dying your hair while claiming to be natural...stop. There's more to it than simply not getting perms. 

Please stop trying to force this natural hair movement on people and stop being so doggone obsessed about it. 

xoxo,
Miss Nwoka

No comments:

Post a Comment